Top 5 American 50-gal Gas Water Heaters Review
Top 5 American gas water heaters selected here are those models that are used for potable water heating in residential applications, have one or more of the following features; high energy factor or recovery rate, low and ultra-low NOx, long warranty and utilize the latest advanced features found in the industry.
Some of these features include the condensing technology (high energy factor), powered anodes (non-sacrificial), advanced gas valves and electronics (precise temperature control and diagnostics). This review covers only the 50-gal water heaters that use natural gas.
Top 5 gas water heaters
One of the most advanced American gas water heaters is definitely Polaris. The main characteristics of the Polaris series are:
- Ultra-high energy efficiency of 96% that significantly saves energy and money.
- Long lasting and corrosion free stainless steel water storage tank that also reduces the maintenance of the heater by eliminating the need for the anode rod.
- An ultra-quiet blower for better comfort.
- A metal fiber gas burner ensures clean gas combustion, lower pollution and better resistance to the thermal and mechanical stress and corrosion.
- A microprocessor and self-diagnostic system for better control and accuracy.
- Polaris utilize the power/direct venting system with the 2” or 3” tubes, and maximum length of up to 120’ - all made of PVC, CPVC or ABS.
- Extremely high recovery rate of up to 257 gal/hr, found on the 50-gal unit - PG10 50-199-3NV, resulting in more hot water where it is needed the most – large families with high demand for hot water.
- Long 10-year warranty.
Nautilus Power Direct Vent
Nautilus Power Direct Vent water heater VG6250T100NV is the second best 50-gallon unit, and it utilizes the following features:
- Condensing design resulting in the ultra-high efficient water heating of 96%.
- A spiral heat exchanger allows higher performance and better thermal efficiency.
- An advanced electronic control with the large LCD display, diagnostic system, and remote control capability.
- Can be used in both space and potable water heating with the provided side recirculating taps.
- 3” vent pipe with the lengths of up to 128’.
Nautilus Power Vent
Nautilus Power Vent water heater VG6250T76NV is the 50-gallon unit that utilize the following features:
- Ultra high efficient water heating of 90%.
- An advanced gas valve control that comes with the diagnostics and long-lasting hot surface ignitor.
- A water heater with the side-mount taps can be used in space and potable water heating.
- Excellent protection against the corrosive water action – Blue Diamond Glass coating and two heavy-duty anode rods.
- A Green Choice gas burner that reduces the emission of NOx gases by 33%.
- Vent pipes with the 2”, 3” and 4” diameter and maximum length of 128’.
PCG6250T403NOV - Pressurized combustion chamber
- Pressurized combustion chamber that utilizes an advanced air intake blower for distributing the optimal mixture air/gas, resulting in superior efficiency of 0.70.
- Hot Surface ignition eliminates the outdated pilot light.
- The Green Choice is the Eco-friendly gas burner that reduces the emission of greenhouse gases.
- Service diagnostics and temperature monitoring using the digital LCD display.
- A non-sacrificial powered anode rod for the advanced metal tank protection.
- A self-cleaning system and diffuser dip tube reduce the sediment build-up inside the water tank keeping the performance high and heater durable.
Ultra-Low NOx Power Vent
PVUG62-50T42 is the Ultra-Low NOx Power Vent gas water heater with the 50 gallons tank and following features:
- Power venting using the PVC, CPVC or ABS vents, with the size of 2” or 3” and horizontal and vertical termination.
- Ultra-Low NOx gas emission thanks to the Green Choice gas burner.
- Intelli-Vent gas control for a better temperature control and simple diagnostic.
- Superior corrosion resistance is utilizing the Coregard anode rod and Blue Diamond glass coating.
- Self-cleaning dip tube system.
- Energy Star approved with the 0.68 energy factor.